Timeline compiled by Marc Wanamaker / museum historian
|1901||1903-1910||1904||1910||June 1, 1912||March 1913||July 1913||Nov. 23, 1913||Dec. 20, 1913||Dec. 22, 1913||Dec. 29, 1913||May 8, 1914||June 1916||Feb. 1918||June 1926||Jan. 1, 1950||Dec. 27, 1956||Oct. 25, 1979||Feb. 15, 1983||Dec. 13, 1985||2010|
Photo Courtesy Eugene Hilchey Collection
A stable was built on the Hollywood California estate of Col. Robert Northam(left). The stable was situated at the southeast corner of Selma and Vine Streets and acted as storage for horses, hay, and carriages.
Col. Robert Northam
|Hollywood, which had been founded in
1886 was incorporated as a City in its own right,
outlawing the serving and sale of alcohol, the exhibition of motion pictures, and the herding of over 200 head of sheep down Prospect (later Hollywood) Boulevard.
Photo from the Bruce Torrence Collection
Photo from the Bruce Torrence Collection
The Jacob Stern family purchased the Northam Citrus farm. Mr. Stern is actively involved in real estate development and has little interest in the operation of the lemon groves of the former owner.
|Hollywood is annexed to the City of Los Angeles to take
advantage of the ultilities available. Soon there will be a railway down
the center of Hollywood Boulevard, replacing the former tourist-oriented
Balloon Line, with a commercial railway linking Los Angeles, Hollywood
and Santa Monica among other cities.
The light portion below indicates the same area as the 1886 incorporation in comparison to the annexation area.
Map from "History Of Hollywood" by Edwin O. Palmer, M.D.
Poster from "Queen Elizabeth" 1912
Former furrier Adoph Zukor introduces a new audience to film by importing "Queen Elizabeth" from the French Cine Arts company and exhibiting it in a formal theatre with a higher ticket price, attracting the carriage trade. With the success of this venture, he formed the Famous Players Film Company in New York.
|The Burns and Revier Studio and
Laboratory is established at the Stern Family barn
in Hollywood for rental to independent producers. L.L. Burns and Harry Revier both in the film business for some time first
lease the new studio to ex-Keystone comedian, Fred Mace.
Stern barn lease from the permanent collection of the Hollywood Heritage Museum.
From the permanent collection of the Hollywood Heritage Museum.
The beginning of the organization of the Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Company is begun with officers, Jesse Lasky, President; Samuel Goldfish (later Goldwyn), General Manager; and Cecil B. DeMille as Director-General in New York. Lasky and Goldwyn remained in New York to sell the film to exhibitors while DeMille was sent to California to begin filming.
|The formal incorporation of the
Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Company
is completed under the laws of New York with a
capital of $50,000. The new company will produce on film the successful
stage play, The Squaw Man
with stage star Dustin Farnum
Poster for the original stage production of "The Squaw Man"
Vintage postcard of the lobby of the Alexandria Hotel in downtown Los Angeles.
The Lasky Company arrived in Los Angeles and stayed at the Alexandria Hotel before moving to Hollywood. It is at the Alexandria where DeMille was to meet Mssrs. Burns and Revier.
|An agreement is signed by Cecil B. DeMille on behalf of the
Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Company with
L.L. Burns of Burns and Revier Studio to lease the Stern barn and studio facilities at Selma and
Vine Streets in Hollywood for $250 a month.
Original lease agreement between Burns and Revier and the Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Co. dated Dec. 22, 1913 on Hotel Alexandria stationery. Permanent collection of the Hollywood Heritage Museum.
Dustin Farnum, left, in scene from The Squaw Man, 1914.
Production began on The Squaw Man at the newly acquired studio in Hollywood with stars: Dustin Farnum, Dick Loreno, Red Wing, and Winifred Kingston
|Paramount Pictures Corporation
is formed (a distributing
company) by W.W. Hodkinson with Jesse Lasky, Adolph Zukor, Hobart Bosworth,
and other producers in New York.
Early Paramount logo. Copyright Paramount Pictures Corporation.
Photograph taken at time of Famous Players and Lasky merger. From left, Jesse L. Lasky, Adolph Zukor, Samuel Goldwyn, Cecil B. DeMille, and Albert Kaufman.
Famous Players Film Company and the Lasky Feature Play Company merged into: Famous Players Lasky Corporation.
|Famous Players Lasky Corporation absorbs Paramount Pictures,
their distributing subsidiary into the company, combining production,
distribution and exhibition under one company, typifying the beginning
of Hollywood "Golden Age" of production.
Above is a period illustration of the Famous Players Lasky lot at the southeast corner of Selma and Vine. The studio had expanded to Sunset on the south, and El Centro on the east. Production would remain here until 1926 when FPL purchased the Brunton, Peralta and United Studios near Melrose and Gower, moving all their facilities from the former lot, and moving the barn (center bottom) with them.
On the new lot, actress Louise Brooks lends a hand to painting the moved building. Photo courtesy Bison Archives.
The Stern -DeMille Lasky barn, was moved from Selma and Vine Streets in Hollywood to the back lot of the newly acquired United Studios on Melrose Avenue where the new Paramount Studios would be built.
|After many corporate name changes the company's new name is
Paramount Pictures Corporation.
A photograph taken in the 1930's shows the then-main gate at Marathon Street, viewed prominently in the 1950 film "Sunset Boulevard," now enclosed within the Paramount lot. Photo courtesy Bison Archives.
Celebrities at the dedication shown on the porch of the barn are Adolph Zukor, Samuel Goldwyn, Cecil B. DeMille, Jesse L. Lasky, and then Paramount Studio chief, Y. Frank Freeman. The barn had been changed to be the an integral part of the western backlot at Paramount, and was in use at the time of this photo as the train station in the film "The Rainmaker."
Dedication of the Stern-DeMille-Lasky Bar as: Hollywood's First Major Film Company Studio, named a State of California registered landmark #554
|The Lasky-DeMille Barn is moved off the Paramount Studio property
to a parking lot of the Hollywood Palace Theater on Vine Street. The Hollywood
Chamber of Commerce, responsible for moving the barn, fenced and boarded
up the barn until a permanent site could be found.
The Lasky DeMille barn makes its second move to a temporary spot on Vine Street (see below) where it remained for three years.
Photo by Tom Vollick, KABC-TV.
The moving of the 1913 studio, repainted and reroofed for the night. Photo by Raymond St. Francis.
The Lasky-DeMille barn was donated by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and Paramount Pictures Corporation to Hollywood Heritage, Inc. and moved to its present site, across from the Hollywood Bowl on Highland Avenue.
Work in progress restoration, 1984. Photo by Dennis Cashado.
|The Dedication ceremonies at the Lasky-DeMille Barn take place
renaming it, The Hollywood Studio Museum,
where it would become a
museum dedicated to the early days of filmmaking in Hollywood.
1985-'86 Hollywood Heritage president Richard Adkins, Co-founder Marian Gibbons, Los Angeles County Supervisor Edmund D. Edelman, and special guest Charlton Heston at the opening ceremonies for the Hollywood Studio Museum. Photograph courtesy Los Angeles Times.
Interior of the museum on opening day. The initial display, predated the acquisition of artifacts and utilized barn implements and the tri-color bunting theme from the 1956 landmark dedication.
A current photo of the Hollywood Heritage Museum, courtesy of photographer Richard Rownak.
A fire in September of 1996, in which no artifacts were lost or destroyed, caused the museum to close until July 10, 1999. At that time the museum was renamed the Hollywood Heritage Museum to reflect not only the organization responsible for the preservation of the only structure linking pre-movie Hollywood and the modern community, but its mission as well.