top of page


Code Enforcement - How To Report a Property Violation to the Department of Building and Safety -


If a building is a designated landmark, or is in a Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (Historic District) athe Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety is responsibile for investigating code violations on existing single family residential, commercial, industrial and vacant buildings inside the City of Los Angeles. If you wish to file a complaint regarding potential code violation(s) on a private property, you may do so by using this website:    or calling 311.



The following information is required when submitting a service request:



Property address requiring attention


You name


Your phone number



You can learn if there is a permit on file for an address by accessing the PROPERTY ACTIVITY REPORT -



The purpose of the Internet Based Property Activity Report is to allow easy access and visual display of general information from the Department of Building and Safety (LADBS) Plan Check and Inspection System (PCIS) and the Code Enforcement System (CEIS). This general information can be generated by either the address(es) or PCIS/CEIS number associated with it.



There are 4 ways to access this information via


4 ways to search:


1. Address (use the "th" in numbered streets)


2. Permit Application Number (15 digit xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)


3. Plan Check/Job Number (10 digit)


4. CEIS Customer Request Number


You may also access the Property Activity Report from the ZIMAS webpage of the property. Select the "Jurisdictional" dropdown menu and click on "Building Permit Info's" View.




If a building is a multiple residence, such as duplexes, apartments, etc. these types of structures fall under the jurisdiction of the Los Angeles Housing Department. To report a property violation on a building of this type go to:


You may also call the Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD) at 1-866-577-RENT (7368). The LAHD is responsible for investigating code violations related to rental properties within the City of Los Angeles containing more than one dwelling unit, such as duplexes, apartment buildings or more than one single family dwelling on a property.


NOTE: the website takes you to the Property Activity Report webpage even when selecting the Report a Violation site. However, once the property information is provided, the Report has a link to the Report a Property Violation site.


The purpose of the Internet based Property Activity Report is to allow easy access from the Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD) Code and Rent Information System (CRIS).


There are 3 ways to search:


1. Address


2. 10-digit Assessor Parcel Number (APN)


3. Case Number


If the violations are public health related such as Mold, Infestationi, Rodents, Lead or Asbestos concerns, you must contact Environmental Health Services Los Angeles at 1-888-700-9995.


Our Thanks to the Los Angeles Department of City Planning, Office of Historic Resouces for this useful information and to the Los Angeles Conservancy for putting together the conference and making this information available.


Many members have contacted us regarding how to proceed when they see questionable activity going on at a historic, or potentially historic site - Please follow this link to obtain phone numbers to call in this situation


Historic Resources Emergency Contact information

bottom of page